Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Returning the Gifts


“And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified. I coveted no one's silver or gold or apparel. You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my necessities and to those who were with me. In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:32-35.

Christmas is about giving and receiving, but if we were honest with self and others the emphasis for most of us would be on the receiving. Notice that most of us wish to receive before we want to let go of anything. However, the joy of giving always seems to bring more joy and satisfaction because people like to see people smile!!

With the New Year quickly approaching, why not do something a bit differently? Many make those New Year’s Resolutions that most often focus on ourselves for self improvement. Why not make some resolutions that will literally change your life that in turn will impact the lives of everyone around you? But this resolution will not be just for 2008, but will be for the remainder of your life. Maybe this will be of help. Look at this Scripture, Acts 20:32-35 and replace the “I” with your name:

Bob
1. Commends others to God
2. Commends others to the Word of His Grace
3. Encourages others in service to God
4. Ministers with his hands to meet the necessities of others
5. Will help the weak to become stronger in some way
6. Will focus more on giving than receiving accolades for doing so

We have received much this past year only because we are privileged to live in the greatest Nation on the planet, therefore, we are blessed beyond measure. May we never forget that.

And I am now thinking of our men and women serving in other parts of the world in efforts beyond our imagination. I think or our son, David who is somewhere in Iraq. We received a telephone call from him yesterday…Christmas day…as he and several other Marines are protecting our freedom. In their outpost these men have no beds, no chairs, no running water, etc while I sit here in the comfort of my home. This causes me to want to share with others what God has so graciously given me.

My prayer for you today is just that….that God will impress upon your heart to be generous in your life. My prayer today is that you will not forget the Christ who stepped from His place in Heaven to walk this earth for you. My prayer for you is that you will know Christ and share your faith with others. And my prayer for you is that you will not forget the Nation that God has allowed us to live in.

“The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”
2 Corinthians 9:6-7.

No comments: