Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Compassion

“Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.” Colossians 3:12-14 (ESV)

What do you think of when you think of compassion? This morning as I was writing this, I began searching my catalog of thoughts attempting to draw from experience something that depicts compassion beyond reason. And, of course, I immediately thought of the Christ hanging on the Cross. But, He pointed me to something different.

A dog. These humble creatures are what you and I should be in every case. Think of it. You can beat these animals and they will come back and love you…not just follow you, but love you. They will stick with you through thick and thin, no matter the cost. That is true compassion. (I have a pic of Chance, but it was too large for the moment…use your imagination of your own pet)

But, now He directs my thoughts to us…those who belong to Him…by grace through faith. Look at what His Word says…”put on”…. Not only is this a command in the Greek, but interestingly it carries with it the idea of ‘sinking into’. That is, we are to immerse ourselves with “compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.”

You might think, ‘how can I do that after what that despicable person has done to me’. Have you seen the Compassion of the Christ, and have you read the Gospel accounts of the Crucifixion? And do you not recall the thief hanging next to the Christ as he pleads with Him “Please forgive me!!!” Do you remember what the dying figure of your Lord said? “Forgive you? Are you kidding…after what you have done to me?” NO, THIS IS NOT WHAT HE DID!! RATHER, HE LOOKED ACROSS HIS PERSONAL PAIN AND SUFFERING AND REPLIED, “TODAY YOU WILL BE WITH ME IN PARADISE.” And in a few moments he cried out to the Father, “FORGIVE THEM BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.” You and I are commanded by Him to do no less. This is compassion beyond reason….

No comments: