Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Eternity is Forever

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23:6

In the OT, goodness and mercy are related directly to the Covenant of God and man’s relationship with God through the Covenant. With that in mind, we can now understand why David writes that ‘goodness and mercy shall follow me…’

With that said, relate to that statement as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ because He is the New Covenant who lives in every believer. Jesus Christ does not simply ‘follow’ the believer He lives and becomes the life of the believer. This is the reason that the Apostle Paul could write,

“I myself am satisfied about you, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge and able to instruct one another.”
Romans 15:14

AND

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”
Galatians 5:22-23

The difference between the Old Testament Covenant and the New Testament Covenant if found in the Person of Jesus Christ. The difference, therefore, between you and David is found in the same, Jesus Christ. David’s relationship with God was founded in the written Code and the demands of keeping that Code whereas your relationship with God is founded in your personal relationship with Jesus Christ through His blood. There is a tremendous difference.

David’s relationship with God depended upon how well he performed, and yours is dependent upon a personal relationship with Jesus Christ founded upon faith in Him.

The consequence is the same, but the avenue of arrival is quite different. Personally, I am so blessed because Jesus paid the price for my eternal life. His righteousness does not follow me because it is who I am in Him. His righteousness is who I am. And because of His righteousness I demonstrate His mercy. Praise the Lord!!

The disciples of Christ had explain, “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

The fact today is that my righteousness and my place in Heaven do not depend upon my feeble attempts to fulfill the standards of the Old Covenant. Only my faith in Jesus Christ demonstrated by His residence in my daily life makes my place secure in the Heavenly City. There is, indeed, Power in the Blood!

However, the day in which we live is not without difficulties because there are people who demonstrate their dislike for you and me on a daily basis. And they do so only because of our faith and life in the Christ. The Scriptures tell us that these kinds of issues would be ours to face. Look at this example:

“But you must remember, beloved, the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ. They said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” It is these who cause divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit. But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.” Jude 17-21.

Now, read the 23rd Psalm in its entirety and praise God from whom all blessings flow….
"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures.He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul.He leads me in paths of righteousnessfor his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,for you are with me;your rod and your staff,they comfort me. You prepare a table before mein the presence of my enemies;you anoint my head with oil;my cup overflows.6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow meall the days of my life,and I shall dwell in the house of the Lordforever. "

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by! We appreciated it

-Brandon and Mandy