Wednesday, December 19, 2007

By His Strength…Alone

Then he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts. Zechariah 4:6. ESV

Life is a journey…period. And the journey is predicated by the many decisions that each of us will make along the way. Factually, it is very much like plotting a trip…however you may choose.

Some sort of simply ‘do it’, and we might refer to those folks as living on the edge. These are the people that simply get in or on their vehicle and travel.
Others are somewhat akin to the former, but they will use maps along the way for a feeling of security…I guess.

Destination is a must for some, but actually planning the trip may not be an option, they, too will take off with map(s) in hand just in case there is a need. Meticulous planning is the group that fascinates me the most (I am not one of them), because every moment of every day is planned for enjoyment…to the last drop of nourishment involved. The ‘LIST’ is followed to the hilt.

And the ‘Journey of Life” is very much like that. Having lived for almost 60 years, viewing the various methods of fulfilling the journey has intrigued me. From the very careless to the minutest of detailers, I think that I have seen them all….each and every one. What I have discovered is that none is really better than another, simply different. But being different is not my point of reference. My point of reference is WHO makes the impact upon the difference.

Yes, we are able to live this life alone and without a Guide, and most do. From the very ‘edge of the envelope’ risk takers to the most detailed of planners, life is lived to the fullest extent of excitement and boredom…take your pick. But news stories will always reveal that even the best of plans will sometimes end in tragedy.

As the Lord revealed to Zerubbabel, we cannot successfully live this life by our own mental toughness or according to our physical strength. The Bible tells us that successful living can only be achieved by living according to His Holy Spirit. This is the Person that our Lord said that He was to send to the earth to give us daily instruction for successful living. “…it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.´(John 16:7-11) ESV

My counsel, therefore, is to enjoy life at the fullest extent possible. But do so with the joy of knowing that the Holy Spirit is your daily Guide and Strength for living…..

No comments: