Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Protected by His Love

"Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation." -Psalm 91:14-16 (ESV)
Being from West Texas, sand storms are frequent and daily winds of 20 mph are the norm. I recall that my mother would always wear a headscarf. In fact, women go nowhere without those head coverings. Trees are planted around farm houses that are standing on the flat and otherwise treeless plains. The point to be made here is that God offers protection from the elements of life if we love Him.

After the discovery and study of the HMS Titanic, an incredible weakness was uncovered. There was a huge flaw in the construction of the ship that helped to create the unlikely sinking of the huge ship. The steel plates used in the building of the vessel were secured with wrought iron rivets instead of much stronger steel rivets. There were many other structural problems, but this would have been an unlikely suspect if the material had been of the 'right stuff'.

The irony is that much money and tremendous effort were used to make the ship comfortable for the wealthy guests that were to make ocean crossings a pleasure. However, not so much effort was made to secure the safety of the pleasure-seekers. The statement can be made that the “Unsinkable Titanic” proved to be far less safe than was predicted. The wealthy travelers had placed their most valuable possessions, their very lives, in faulty advertisement.God tells us in Psalm 91, ESV, that He is our strength if we love Him.

Those who love Him live within the safe cover of our God who is above all gods. He is our strong haven and we are protected by His Mighty Presence. When life becomes difficult and things do not seem to be going in ‘my direction’, I will remember that I am standing in the strength of God's love. What a wonderful place to be!

No comments: