Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Reality Check

“Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."" Matthew 12:33-37.

Returning from Peru for our first Stateside Assignment was somewhat startling, but the second trip home in 1990 was even more amazing. Many things had remained the same, but so much had changed. Especially vehicles.

Because I had been witnessing the model changes from year to year, identifying a Chevrolet or a Ford product was easy. In 1990 we had been out of the States for six years and the models had changed so drastically during that time that no longer was it possible for me to look at a vehicle and know what it was. Today, after being in the States for 10 years, I have yet to catch up. They all look alike to me. But one thing is certain, a Chevrolet is just what it is, a Chevrolet and not a Ford, “for the tree is known by its fruit.”

Someone may say many things about character and profession or whatever else, but what we are will eventually be known. Our words and actions will, in time, expose who and what we really are. “How can you speak good, when you are evil?”

For this reason alone, Christians are Christians and those who are not simply are not. People keep company with those that they are most like, no matter who they may claim to be. There is an old saying that I use from time to time that tells the story of who we are, “The birds of a feather flock together.”

I have been a fan of the Texas Tech Red Raiders as long as I can recall. Living in Arkansas and being on staff with the Arkansas Baptist State Convention has not helped me when I preach in Arkansas churches week in and week out. I still cannot ‘Call the Hawgs’. One would have to be from Arkansas to do that.

However, I am not a Texas Tech Red Raider football, baseball or basketball team member only because I say that I am a Red Raider. A fan, yes, for many years. But am I a Red Raider? No. I have not paid my dues in order to be able to say that. I have a cousin who played for the Raiders way back in the 50’s. Jim Henderson is a Red Raider because he ‘paid his dues.’

We are who we are, and nothing can change that. Jesus Christ makes the difference in everything I both say and do. Being a Christian is not an attempt to be something I am not. Being a Christian is because of who He is living in my heart and life. He reveals himself through me, in spite of me. But His presence in my life enables me to be a Christian. I do good because of Him. "For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks... for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

No comments: