Thursday, January 31, 2008

Directions

And they went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia. And when they had come up to Mysia, they attempted to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them. So, passing by Mysia, they went down to Troas. And a vision appeared to Paul in the night: a man of Macedonia was standing there, urging him and saying, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” And when Paul had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go on into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them. Acts 16:6-10.

“Follow this road to the Big Tree on the left. There you will turn to the right and stay on that road until you come to the house with the red door. Take the middle road where the three roads meet and travel for 600 feet or so and you will let me out at the burned out building.” Directions you might give to your taxi driver in Costa Rica.

A sign near Boulder Colorado reads, “Free Bathroom Tours” next left…..

How about the ‘Burnt Bun’ restaurant??

“No Parking – Tow away Zone” / 2 Hour Parking / 15 Minute Parking” all of these on the same pole…could be in your town…

“Curl Up N Dye” Hair Salon. Be careful here.

Duh, Attorney at Law. Hope you have a lawyer. This lawyer does exist and I found out where. But I have his first name and I will not give it to you.

Finding directions in life is sometimes difficult because we may not be ‘in tune’ with the Holy Spirit. And allow me to say that you do not have to be some kind of ‘Spiritual Giant’ to follow Him. Too many of us make life far more difficult than it has to be simply because we do not read, study and apply God’s Word to daily living.

The worst advice that we can read, even for fun, are the “Horror Scopes” that are found in newspapers and other places. And then there are the ‘Advice Columns’ that have been lurking in newspapers, too. Their advice seems to be okay, but when you wake up in the ‘dark’, do not call them up and tell them your troubles after following their suggestions. They might say, ‘you misunderstood me’. There is no guarantee there.

“How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes! With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth. In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches. I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways. I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.” Psalm 119:9-16.

Paul travelled with the Holy Spirit as his Guide in all things. And we should certainly do the same in every thing that we do. To do differently is to follow a road to disaster.

“Many things I have tried to grasp and lost. That which I have placed in God’s hands I still have.” –Martin Luther

No comments: